Thursday, July 1, 2010

Red, White, and BOOM!!!

Wow, Its been awhile since I have posted something. And I sure have to do a better job at this. I cant' say that I am a great written, but I sure feel good after I write something I'm passionate about.

Last year I remember receiving an invite for the Inaugural Red White and Boom 1/2 marathon that Twin Cities Marathon was putting on. It was to take place on the 4th of July, and the course went through NE Mpls, my stopping grounds. I was very excited about the expansion of races in the Twin Cities, but I knew it wouldnt' be a race I could ever do because of holiday plans we always have. So that idea got placed on the back burner, and wasn't brought up 'til recently.

The past 3 years, Josh and I have started our own tradition of going up to Lake Vermillion in Tower, MN for the 4th of July weekend, with his mom's side of the family. Its always a blast; a weekend that usually consists of funny stories, fishing, campfires, beer drinking, fireworks (that sometimes malfunction), great people, and tons of food. This is a childhood tradition that meanst he world to Josh and he rarely misses these trips up north. As for me, my 4th of July weekend took place further north, in Grand Marais, MN on Devil's Track Lake, in the Boundary Waters. Our family and The Anderson's would head up north, usually for a week, and enjoy the MN summer. On the 4th of July, we would head into town, stop by DQ, get these awesome blizzards that were so thick they would tip the blizzard upside down to show off, we would find our perfect stop on these huge boulders on the shore of Lake Superior, and we would "ohhhhh and ahhhhh" over the beautiful fireworks over the breakwaters. It was something we would never forget as kids. Regardless of the traditions as kids, Josh and I decided that we would continue on our 4th of July tradition in Tower, MN.

After doing this cabin trip the last 2 summers, I have found out many funny things about Josh's cousins and aunt's and uncles. They are really funny people, with really funny stories, and when you add alcohol into the equation, its priceless. I have become very fond of the Bauler's and I'm so glad they have welcomed me so nicely into their family. We have had many holiday's together, and the memories just keep growing and growing.

This year isnt' going to turn out just as we had planned.....We thought we had lined up our puppy-sitter for our two dogs, but things fell through, and we ended up not having anyone to watch them. Instead of sitting around and feeling sorry for ourselves (that is just not the type of people Josh and I are) we decided we are going to make the best out of our 3-day weekend, and have a lot of FUN!!!

One month ago I was supposed to run in the 2nd Annual Minneapolis Marathon. I had trained my hardest for this marathon.. My training partner, Amy Cooper, who was to run the Grandma's Marathon a few weeks later, was training for her first marathon. And I couldnt' have been more proud of her. She had amazing energy, and together, we were unstoppable down at the chain of lakes! A few weeks prior to the marathon, Josh and I had learned that we were expecting our first little bundle of joy, and were due in January! Although I was devestated about not running, I still encouraged Amy along her final weeks of training, and couldnt' have been more excited to experience this pregnancy. The day before the race, I was taken to the ER, and we had lost our baby. It was horrible. It was one of the hardest things Josh and I have gone through as a couple. We went from the highest of all high's to the lower low one could experience. I woke up on the day of the marathon, and told Josh I was going to run that marathon afterall.... he stopped me, told me he wasnt' ok with it, and told me to go back to bed. Since then, I have been itching to compete in a race! I didnt' want to find an easy race to just say I did, I needed a challenge! I almost drove up to Duluth, MN to run Grandma's Marathon with Amy, but my doctor didnt' clear me yet. Seeing that there arent' a ton of options of summer marathons, this Red White and Boom was sounding better and better, especially since we were going to be in town.

Our alternative plans this 4th of July weekend is going to consist of puppy parks, Twins baseball, laying out at the pool, the Red White and Boom 1/2 marathon, a possible double date, and lots of relaxation! I dont' think we could ask for anything more!

Everyone celebrates 4th of July in their own way. Some people party until its morning, some people shoot off their own fireworks, some go up north, and some run 1/2 marathon's. It doesnt' matter what you end up doing on your 4th of July, as long as you remember the importance of this holiday in some way; it marks the independence of our country. Its a day that we have to be thankful for. I'm not much into history, and I'm not going to try and tell you what took place to get our country free, but I do know that its an important date!

Make sure you all have a wonderful 4th of July weekend and be safe. I know Josh and I are going to make it a great weekend... I mean, who wouldnt' want to run 13.1 miles at 6:30am on the 4th of July!

Thanks for reading!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment